Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Experimenting with Standing Rib Roast


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The Silver Fox and I live in an area where cattle and sheep are raised. That would be immaterial, save for the fact that availability makes them dirt cheap during the holiday season. In one of our local markets, standing rib roasts were actually cheaper per pound than ground beef. Now, the only person less capable of resisting a bargain than me, is the Lord of the Manor. To make a long story short, on an errand meant to pick up a quart of eggnog, he passed the meat counter and came home with three rib roasts. We were on the verge of creating a herd of our own when they joined the two I had already purchased and stored in the freezer.  As it happened, I spoke with my youngest daughter on Christmas morning, and she was in the middle of preparing her holiday dinner. She mentioned that she was using a Paula Deen recipe for her rib roast. While I had other plans for the day, I was curious about the technique she was using and made a mental note to explore it further. Years ago, Anne Seranne developed a recipe for a closed oven rib roast that appeared in  the New York Times. It made a delicious roast that  I stopped using only when we had smoke detectors installed in the house. The 500 degrees needed for her technique managed to set off the smoke alarms in my kitchen and I couldn't stand the noise. The Deen recipe my daughter was using was similar, but the meat roasted at a lower temperature. I had to try it. I love it when simple things produce spectacular results and I'm happy to report that this is a great recipe. It is effortless and truly foolproof if you remember two things. The meat must be at room temperature before roasting and once you put the roast in the oven, the door cannot be opened until you are ready to serve the meat. I did very slightly change the original recipe. I applied my own version of a salt rub to the beef the day before I planned to roast it. The rub, of course, adds flavor, but it also makes a wonderful crust that covers the surfaces of the meat as it roasts. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. It produces a really nice, nearly effortless rib roast. Here is how it is made.





Foolproof Standing Rib Roast...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Paula Deen

Ingredients:
1 (5 to 6 pound) standing rib roast
Salt Rub
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Directions:
1) One day before roasting, combine salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl. Rub all surfaces of rib roast with mixture, transfer to a plate with rib side down and refrigerate, uncovered for 24 hours.
2) The following day, remove roast from refrigerator, place it, rib side down, on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan, and let it sit until it comes to room temperature, about 2 hours.
3) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4) Transfer roasting pan to oven and roast beef for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Remove from oven and let sit 10 to 20 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Cook's Note :Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                    Two Years Ago Today:
  Snap Challenge - Pan Grilled Barbecued Chicken                     Cranberry Upside Down Muffins


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                Four Years Ago Today: 
  Frozen Key Lime and White Chocolate Pie                                    Individual Baked Omelets




10 comments :

David said...

Mary, Great looking rib roast! We had a rib roast for Christmas Eve Dinner and a roast leg of lamb for New Years Day dinner. We pulled our rib roast when the thermometer hit 135 and then we tented it for about 10 minutes. It got up to 145 degrees. It was good but we do like our meat medium rare... We liked our roasted potatoes almost as much as the roast! The rib roast was $8.99 a pound here in East Tennessee... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

decocinasytacones said...

Wow, I made this recipe too at my mom´s yest. It was holiday here in Spain, the Three Kings´day, when children get their presents. I´ll show you the picture in google+
Kiss and Happy new year to you and your family.
Marialuisa

Unknown said...

Sounds so simple, I want to run out and by a rib roast right now!! And I love the fact that you can get such a good deal on it.... it would probably be cheaper for me to fly there and purchase it than purchase it here :) It's usually pretty pricey anytime I have spotted one in the meat department!

Beverly said...

I prepared a standing rib roast Sunday. I perused the internet, and I did see that recipe. In fact, I had my cousins here for lunch yesterday, and standing rib roasts were one of our conversation topics. One of my cousins had also tried and liked that method.

I prepared mine with a rub of kosher salt, white pepper, onion powder, minced garlic, cayenne pepper and rosemary. I then wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerated it for about 24 hours. I let it stand at room temp for about two hours and put it rib side down in a oven preheated to 425 degrees for thirty minutes. I lowered the oven to 325 degrees and let cook until it reached an internal temp of 125 degrees. I removed it from the oven, and tented with foil for 30 minutes. I prepared an au jus with the drippings, beef stock, red wine, and seasonings which included a bit of liquid smoke. The roast was a beauty, and it was delicious. Unfortunately, we dove in before I remembered to take a photo.

I also lucked up on a special. Mine was originally marked $72, then $35, then $29, and that is when it went in my cart. It was a three rib six pounder.

Big Dude said...

Good looking hunk of meat Mary - let me know if you'd like yet another method to experiment with.

pam said...

I have never cooked a rib roast, and I can't imagine having several in the freezer! So jealous!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I am going to have to try that method!

Cuisine de Provence said...

Mary, I would like to know if when you roast your beef like that is it then fully cooked through? We like our beef "saignant" here in France, that is very very pink. Probably not feasible using this method, right?

Kim said...

There is nothing like a big piece of meat like this one:)

Chiara said...

great looking rib roast Mary!Have a good week...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly